● On-going application process
● Open to all kinds of fine arts, performing arts, new media, social art, land art, experimental sound, music, literature and others
● No restrictions according to gender, age or nationality
● Language of application is English or German
● One to three-month residencies available
● Resident artists are expected to share costs of housing (utilities, etc.) with €200,- to €400,- / month
● Shorter stays and "Artists on Tour" plans by special arrangement
The ELEVEN Art is Residence² is an international residency program for artists - located in Starzach-Börstingen, Germany. It is a self-administrated non-profit organisation. ELEVEN artspace wants to create an environment for inspiration – a
place for artists where they can concentrate on their work, can experiment and play. The residency program offers combined living and working spaces with private bedrooms for 1, 2 or 3 persons. The accommodations and workshops are situated in
the former administrative offices of an old school (teachers' room, rector’s, student council room, classrooms, etc.). The rooms - most have a washbasin/sink - are simply furnished and could be occupied with 1-3 artists (depending on the room). Toilets and shower are located down the hallway. A fully-equipped community kitchen is also available as well as a patio with the possibility for cooking out when the weather is nice.
By special arrangement there are various other spaces which can be used: a large communal studio (about 70m²), several smaller work rooms, a workshop, a small performance space (about 90m²), and in certain situations there is the possibility of using a large room / gymnasium with stage (about 400m²) for meetings, performances, etc. On the school grounds there are further opportunities: large walls, fields and forests, the Neckar valley and the river itself.
During the residency there are ample possibilities to present public artist discussions, readings, lectures, etc. The project as a whole is well-documented by the regional papers. Works-in-progress can be publicised
in social media in cooperation with the artists.
Scheduling and Duration
The artist-in-residence program is for the meantime only available between May 15th and September 30th. The duration of a residency is from one to three months. Rooms for “artists-on-tour” and shorter periods
(< one month) can also be provided by special arrangements.
In order to cover the costs of operation (utilities, etc.) it is necessary that guest artists participate financially to the amount of € 200 - € 400 per month (dependant on individual needs for space and the number
of residencies which materialise).
To apply, please send us the following documents
- A short CV & examples of original artistic work (max. 3x DIN A4 pages / or links)
- A short statement about your motivation for applying
- Desired time frame of residency, from one to three months
- A description of the space requirements you will need
- Other languages you speak
The language of application is either English or German
Please send no originals. Application materials will not be returned by mail.
Photos, videos and sounds only as links, as download per Dropbox, WeTransfer etc.. or as CD/DVD.
Please send applications by Email or paper post to:
kunstort ELEVEN artspace
72181 Starzach-Börstingen (Germany)
(Subject line): „Artist in Residence“
Info & Contact:
Monika Golla, Frank Fierke
Tel.: +49 172-9573421 oder +49 1520-1929499
Thanks to all supporters and sponsors for making it possible.
Community of Starzach, Steffi & Ralf Striebel, Muriel Shah, Monika Laufenberg, Maria Hopp, Uwe Fierke, a.m.o.
current & previous Resident Artists
- Amie Anderson / Social-Art, Installation, Video (AUS)
- Elisa Carreno / Mixed media (BRA)
- Yung-Jen Chan / Sculpture (TWN/FIN)
- Baishali Das / Design, Graphics (IND)
- Katrin Eichmann / Writing (DEU)
- Gretchen Geraets / Installations (UK)
- Andrea Guterres & Fergus Gratton / Composition & Texts (AUS)
- Helena Hartmann / Performance, Installations (DEU)
- Natalie Henson / Painting, Installation (USA)
- Joseph Horejs / Mixed media (USA)
- Terézia Krnáčová / Textie, Objects (SVK)
- Rochyne Mcnulty / Performance, Mixed media (UK)
- Sophie Morrow / Performance, Video (AUS)
- Julie Rafalski / Drawing, Collages (PL/UK)
- Jackie Riccio / Mixed media (USA)
- Margarita Rozenberg / Graphics (ISR/RUS)
- Azin Sadati / Installations (IRN)
- Sarah Sole / Painting (USA)
- Evelyn Wong / Writing (CAN)
- AMT / Theater (SYR)
- Jens Barth / Media Art (DEU)
- Brandstifter / Action Art (DEU)
- Jaroslaw Broitmann / Painting (RUS/DEU)
- Harry Chapman / Sculpture (UK)
- Kosmas Giannoutakis / Composition (GRC/AUT)
- Andrea Golla / Conceptual Art (DEU)
- Nikolaus Heyduck / Composition (DEU)
- Gabriele Juvan / Conceptual Art (DEU)
- Sibyll Ariane Keller / Painting, Photography (DEU)
- Kuprac / Conceptual Art (DEU)
- Juliet Ezenwa Maja-Pearce / Printing (NGA)
- Anita Mówczan / Graphics (PL)
- Stephanie Müller, Klaus E. Dietl / Video, Performance (DEU)
- Makiko Nishikaze / Composition (JPN/DEU)
- Susanne Resch / Music (DEU)
- Eyal Segal / Video (ISR)
- Heidi Smit / Writing (NLD)